Marathon training isn’t always rainbows and butterflies. That really hit me in the face this past week when after feeling like Rocky post 16 miles (for about 3 hours)…I crashed hard and stayed there. I barely eked out 3 on Tuesday and followed that up with a super pitiful 8 on Wednesday. Such a huge overall uber pathetic-ness that I couldn’t handle grocery shopping. In my defense, the carts here in Scotland have all the wheels unlocked and they go all wonky and in every direction and require too much body strength for me to control in my current state of pathetic-ness.
And now that the marathon is just 44 days away…I think I hold the right to complain for a minute.
Top 5 things I am not digging about marathon training:
- My feet. They are so tore up. Blisters, cracked skin, toe nail polish falling off in sheets. They hurt. They are gross. It’s annoying.
- My knees. They hurt the worst. But really, everything just kind of aches all the time. A dull, chronic pain 24/7. And as many problems as I had squatting/crouching down before….it’s virtually impossible at this point. I am not sure if this is reversible…I’m thinking not.
- My laundry. Or more so, the abundance of stinky, wet laundry. I only work out 5 days a week, but Thursdays are a two-a-day. And I wear padded bike shorts AND capris to spin. And I wear a sport bra and athletic clothes to golf. So that’s like 7 sweaty outfits. In addition to 7 normal outfits. Gah!
- My skin. It’s worse than when I was in high school. Backne? Check. Chestne? Got it? Regular old acne? In full force. But it doesn’t stop there…where there’s not zits my skin is so dry its peeling off in the most unattractive ways. And my forehead…that’s just a constant oil spill. Sweet.
- My sleepless nights. I don’t know if it’s training related. But I’m exhausted every night. Haven’t been this exhausted since I worked 70+ hour weeks for the non-profit Satan. And yet, I can’t sleep. It’s really annoying. And I’m rapidly going through the limited supply of Nyquil we have remaining.
Here’s to 44 more days of marathon training!